Ratha (papertygre) wrote,

Austin trip

I flew to Austin on Thursday evening, overnight, and slept on the plane. Right now (6:00 PM Monday), I'm at the Austin airport, writing this entry to post later. I will get in to Seattle just past midnight and be picked up by tanjent. So the trip has been four days, Friday to Monday.


  • Met up with egosumquisum on Friday night. We had a lively conversation over sushi and coffee. One of the things we talked about was the difference between "goodness" and "pleasure," and relevant examples such as the phenomenon of addictive personalities.

  • Witnessed the filming of a TV show. Apparently, there is this show called "Flip That House" on TLC that devotes each episode to a house being remodeled and resold by everyday folks. Somehow, my sister and her friend (who have just begun a house-flipping project together) got themselves on the show. My mom, brother-in-law, and I drove up to the site on Saturday morning to check out the house and help watch my nieces and nephew. There were notations on the walls in red spray paint indicating what was going to get knocked down, and that day they were supposed to start "demo" (demolition). My 3-year-old niece, with her pink toolbelt, was filmed helping to "demo" the symbolic first wall with her little hammer. (The project will take a few more months, and I believe two more filmings are scheduled, so it will be a while before the episode gets aired or anything.)

  • My parents put on brunch on Sunday morning. My sister's family and her husband's employees were there, and kenoubi also drove down from Dallas. There were French toast, crepes, and various breakfast meats, but I just had some fruit and cut up an avocado. The weather was beautiful, so we hung around on the back porch and talked for a while, although I wound up chasing the kids around a lot.

  • Went to the flagship Whole Foods for dinner on Sunday night with my parents, sister, nieces, and kenoubi. This is one of the few places in the country to get gourmet raw food, so tried as many different things as possible from the Living Foods case. Fortunately, Kenn didn't seem to mind sharing with me, though there still were leftovers.

I stuck to my running schedule, which means I used the treadmill at my parents' house twice. I'm up to 28 continuous minutes now, but I still pretty much hate it for the last 10-15 minutes. I ask myself what's the point of being so strict, I try to bargain with myself to reduce the time, etc., but so far I have been able to stay clear of these temptations and stick to the prearranged training schedule. Listening to podcasts helps. I wonder if it will stop being so difficult at some point.

I had about the most satisfying nap ever on Friday afternoon. I also logged in to work remotely when I had a couple hours of downtime, and managed to solve something that had been frustrating me before I left on Thursday. So in all, it was a good vacation.

Tags: family, food, running, social, travel

  • Polyphasic Sleep retrospective

    I tried polyphasic sleep a few times (3 times, to be precise) recently, from December through February. A couple of people have asked how well it…

  • 7 week nutritarian

    A quick update. Weight is 124 lbs, down from 135-140 at start. I had to take my watch band in a notch, and my size 6 jeans are now a bit loose (where…

  • 3.5 week nutritarian!

    24 days today. My body is freaking out. I have had back-to-back migraines, sore throat and fatigue, exacerbated eczema, an HSV outbreak. I am…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded