Behavior modification gets sophisticated!
- Computers offer an advantage over traditional persuasive media because they are interactive.
- As a tool, computers can be persuasive by making target behavior easier to do.
- Leading a user through a process aids in persuasion.
- Persuasive technologies often perform calculations or measurements that motivate.
- As a medium, a computer will be persuasive if it allows users to explore cause-and-effect relationships.
- Computing technologies that help people rehearse a behavior can be persuasive.
- Persuasive technologies can provide users with vicarious experiences that motivate them to change their behavior.
- By rewarding people with positive feedback, computers act as persuaders.
- Persuasive technologies often model a target behavior or attitude.
- Computers that create a relationship with the user and provide social support are effective persuaders.
This was found in an Amazon review of Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do which was linked from this Knowledge Aforethought blog entry on persuasion which was linked by triple_entendre in an excerpt on the power of stories.
Should we be scared? Should we cheer? I can think of lots of my behaviors I want to modify, but not as many that I want, say, advertisers to have access to. Also, on a related note, I read recently that custom computer games are one of the hottest new forms of advertising.